Pirate Skull Cookie Recipe for Kids
With the recent release of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men tell No Tales movie, I have a small activity which will help with any children or enthusiastic pirates in the family. Here is a small recipe on how to make some pirate cookies.
Recipe Makes 2 1/2 dozen
3 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 C soft unsalted butter
1 C granulated sugar
Cookie Cutter: Skull cutter
- Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- -Add eggs…Continue to mix.
- -Add the vanilla.. Continue mixing.
- -Sift the four, baking soda, and salt together.
- -Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- -Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- -Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- -Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
- -Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- -Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
- – Put flour out on the cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and work some flour into
the batter. (if needed).
- -Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using the cookie cutter begin to make your cookies.
- -Line the sheet with parchment paper.
- -Using a metal spatula move the cut cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- -Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookies are thoroughly baked.
- -Take the off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely. (About 10 minutes).
Making the Icing and Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Black and red food colouring
- 3 piping bag with a number two tip
- 2 squeeze bottle
- combine all ingredients except the colours into a standing mixing bowl.
- Mix on medium speed onto stiff peaks form
- Split the icing into three bowls
- Add black colour to 1 bowl
- Add red colouring to the 2nd bowl
- Leave the 3rd bowl white
- Scoop some of each of the icing into 3 individual piping bags
- Add 2 TBSP of water to the white and red icing bowls
- Once those colours are thinned, add the icing into the 2 squeeze bottles
Outline the top corner of the skull cookie in red
Outline the rest of the skull in white icing.
Fill in the red with the thinned red icing, then fill in the white with the white thinned icing.
Add in white dots in the red
Let dry for 1 hour
Add the skulls face with the black piping bag
Let dry for 4 hours before enjoying.
I am sure this will be a great activity for the kids and the pirates within the family.
You could make these for a birthday or up and coming party, as a way of doing something different.
Please be sure to Like and Comment below.